Reishi - King of the Mushrooms
The top 10 health benefits of Reishi Mushrooms.
Reishi mushrooms have been called “the king of mushrooms,” and it is no surprise when you look at their range of health benefits.
Reishi mushrooms are grown commercially and sold in a variety of formats, including tea, tinctures, capsules, hot cocoa, beauty products, and energy bars. Originally however, thousands of years, these fan shaped, orange/reddish brown mushrooms were a rare, natural find and delicacy that was reserved for royalty in many Asian cultures.
The properties of Reishi mushrooms have been used and celebrated in these cultures for many generations due to the large array of the qualities that they are believed to possess.
Reishi mushrooms are believed to enhance your health in many ways. Here are 10 potential benefits that have been discovered.
1. Rich in antioxidants: Nicknamed “the mushroom of immortality,” Reishi mushrooms have antioxidant properties that are great for over all health as well as reducing the risk of disease and premature aging.
2. May lower blood pressure: There is evidence from a research study conducted in 2014 that the compounds in Reishi mushrooms may help keep high blood pressure at bay.
3. May lower cholesterol: The triterpenes and beta glucans present in Reishi mushrooms may help reduce high cholesterol levels.
4. Immune system booster: The beta glucans (complex sugars) in the mushroom are believed to stimulate the immune system to prevent infection. In Asian cultures they have even been used as an immune- stimulant for patients with HIV and cancer.
5. Alleviate fatigue: Reishi mushrooms are adaptogens, plants that help the body combat stress. In one study of patients suffering from physical and mental exhaustion, consumption of a compound found in Reishi mushrooms was shown to improve aches, pains, and feelings of irritability.
6. May offer neural protection: Research studies conducted on animals offers the possibility that Reishi mushrooms could be therapeutic for neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and may also be able to protect the brain from seizures.
7. May relieve allergy symptoms and Asthma : Studies have shown that Reishi mushrooms may have antihistamine effects which improve the body’s oxygen supply and help those who suffer from chronic and/or allergic asthma.
8. May be helpful for diabetics: Through the results of one clinical study, Reishi mushrooms are believed to possibly be able to decrease blood sugar by inhibiting the enzyme that produces glucose. Additionally it has been noted that taking Reishi mushrooms could also reduce kidney stress, meaning that there may be the possibility that Reishi can Prevent, slow down or stop kidney complications in diabetes patients.
9. May improve liver function: A study on mice found that Reishi mushroom spores were able to promote liver cell regeneration. This means that they improved the livers ability to help flush toxins out of the body.
10. May help fight cancer: Researchers believe that the complex sugars present in the mushrooms may prevent new blood vessel growth, which could help to shrink tumours as cancer cells need a steady blood supply to grow. The essential oils contained in Reishi mushrooms may also help to inhibit the development and meta stasis of tumours. Other research suggests that Reishi mushrooms could also help to alleviate chemotherapy-induced nausea and improve the efficacy of radiation therapy.
And there we have it. 10 fantastic potential benefits of the Reishi mushroom. While Reishi mushrooms are generally considered safe for most people to take, like most medicines and health supplements there is a possibility of some side effects and so you should always consult with your doctor before taking them. This is especially important if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, about to have surgery, or have any type of blood disorder or high/low blood pressure. Similarly you should check with your doctor before starting any additional health supplement if you are taking regular medication for any current condition in case they interfere with your prescribed course.
By Rich Hamilton
Audio article will be available soon.
This article was sponsored by Packs Protect - lockable odour proof bags.